Acne is the most common skin condition that affects the lives of millions of teens and adults. According to American Academy of Dermatology, 85% of all young adults in the US suffer from some kind of acne and a significant percentage of the sufferers have acne severe enough to be examined by a dermatologist. Pimples or acne are skin inflammation that comes up when sebaceous glands of your skin are infected with bacteria and swell then swell up.
Do you know that conventional acne and pimple treatments could be expensive and have side effects such as redness, irritation, and dryness that are undesirable? This has led many people to go about seeking how to treat acne and pimples naturally at home.
Here are some of the best home remedies backed up by science to cure acne and pimples.
What are the Causes of Acne?
Acne begins when pores in the skin clogged with oil and dead skin cells. The pore is connected to a sebaceous gland, that brings out an oily substance called sebum. The growth of bacteria known as Propionibacterium acnes can occur as a result of extra sebum that plugs up pores.
The white blood cells attack Propionibacterium acnes, that leads to inflammation and acne. Common symptoms of acne are blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. Factors that contribute to acne include diet, stress, hormone changes, infections, and genetics.
Home Remedies For Treating Acne
These are natural remedies to treat acne and pimples faster.
Make honey and cinnamon mask:
Cinnamon is spicy while honey is sticky. They function as a perfect source of antioxidants. It has been discovered that applying antioxidants to the skin is far more effective for acne than retinoids and benzoyl peroxide. Honey and cinnamon have antibacterial properties that fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
To make honey and cinnamon mask
- Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together to form a paste.
- Rinse your face and pat dry
- Apply the mask to your face and leave for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Then, rinse off completely and pat your face dry.
Use Zinc Supplement
Zinc is important for hormone production, immune function, cell growth, and metabolism. It has been shown by research that people with acne have a low level of zinc in their blood than people with clear skin. So using zinc orally help to reduce acne.
Moisturize with Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a tropical plant that the leaves produce a clear gel, which is often added to creams, soaps. It is also used to treat rashes, burns, heal wounds, and inflammation. Due to salicylic acid and sulfur content of Aloe Vera is used in the treatment of acne.
How to use Aloe Vera
- Use a spoon to scrape gel from the aloe vera plant
- Apply gel to clean skin
- Repeat 2 times a day
Egg Whites Mask
Egg whites are an affordable and easy way to fade acne and scars. Egg whites contain vitamins and proteins that get rid of acne and rebuild skin cells. They soak up excess oil meaning there is less oil for bacteria to feed on. Note, use a good moisturizer after because they can dry your face.
How to use Egg Whites
- Rinse your face with water and clean dry
- Take 2 to 3 eggs, then separate whites from the yolks
- Whisk the white thoroughly and allow to stay for few minutes.
- Apply the mixture with fingertips on your face but focus on the spots, 4 layers are enough but wait for the first to dry before applying the applying more.
- Allow the mask dry for like 20 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
- Apply moisturizer of your choice
Apply Papaya Pulp
Papaya is an important ingredient in most of the beauty products. Plain Papaya is natural acne home remedy that gets rid of dead cells and excess oil from the skin, making it smooth and soft. Papaya also reduces inflammation and prevents pus from forming due to its content of an enzyme called papain.
Direction for use
- Mash the flesh of papaya until smooth
- Apply on your face and leave for 15-20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- If your face is dry, use a moisturizer of your choice.
Use of Honey and Strawberries
Strawberries contain high salicylic acid, an ingredient for use in commercial acne treatments. This makes the epidermis to remove its cells readily, it neutralizes bacteria and opens up clogged pores. Honey is anti-inflammatory and works against bacteria behind your acne.
Direction for use
- Rinse 3 fresh strawberries and mash well.
- Add the mashed strawberries to 2 teaspoons of honey and blend them together.
- Apply to face and allow staying for 20 minutes then rinsing off with warm water.
- Moisturize if your skin is dry.
Make use of Sodium bicarbonate
Sodium bicarbonate also known as baking soda has antiseptic properties and ability to fight bacteria and fungus. It also dries up excess oil, making your face beautiful and soft.
Direction for use
- Mix the same quantity of sodium bicarbonate and water to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on face and leave for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Rinse face well with warm water and moisturize.
The use of Lemon juice
Lemon juice is a citric acid which helps to exfoliate the skin and also rich in vitamin C, which is good for all skin types. It reduces redness because it is a natural skin whitener.
Directions for use
- Rinse face with water and dab your fingers with a cotton ball in lemon juice and apply on pimples.
- Mix first with yogurt, if it stings.
Use of Apple Cider Vinegar
It has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Although apple cider vinegar is very powerful you may want to dilute it before use. Apply a small quantity to your skin, but ensure to get pure and undiluted vinegar in order to get a perfect result.
There exist different ways to cure acne and pimples at home faster. If you try one or more of the above then let us know what worked for you. We’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences in dealing with acne.